Re: smashing pedestals

At 06:40 PM 06/08/96 +0100, rimbro@earthlink.net (Richard Imbro) wrote:

>Townshend may have been more important to the WHO's success than Daltrey,
>but not by as much as I once thought, and certainly he is not nearly as
>important to any new incarnation of the band as Daltrey will be. In fact,
>Daltrey and Entwistle without Townshend was a much better show than the '89
>WHO tour provided.

In almost thirty years of listening to the Who fanatically I've come to
realise (IMHO) that Townshend IS the band backed by three outstanding
musicians. It is very evident from listening to Townshend's demos that 90%
of the genius of the songs was there before they even reached the studio.

>At least one person on this list thinks they shouldn't be called the WHO
>because their drummer died, but of course he's wrong. Without Moon AND
>without Townshend on lead guitar they are Daltrey's band. The sourpuss on
>acoustic rhythm is purely ornamental.

And that's just what they should be called - Daltrey's band. The Who died -
let them rest in peace and let's enjoy the music they left us. I just wish
Townshend would make the 100% commitment to bury the dinosaur. I don't want
the embarrassments of 1979, 1982 and 1989 to continue.

And the sourpuss sure was purely ornamental. The world's greatest guitar
player, old bald and grey with a pony tail, wearing a sport coat, playing a
woodie at a volume my mother would enjoy, doing a wind mill and jumping
around - PLEASE stop.

As for Daltrey - stop your bellyaching and do as Entwistle does. Just tour
and work hard. Thank your lucky stars that Townshend provided for you as he did.

>What disappoints me is that RD reneged on what he said in the interview,
>which was that he wouldn't participate in another WHO reunion. Of course, I
>said that I wouldn't either but we know I'll be shelling out big bucks for
>tenth row center.

All you can see from tenth row center is the top of their heads.

Joe

-----
Joe Giorgianni
South Glens Falls, NY  12803

If you are interested in the Who and their records please check out my web
page at:

http://www.capital.net/users/giorgian/