re:MG/Who/Zep/Blues etc.

>>Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:50:11 -0400
>>From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
>>Subject: re:My Generation/Who vs Zep

>>Maybe it's because I'm talking about the same thing with three people. As
Entwistle once said: One at a time! Of course, I disagree with that in
regard to women, but that's another thread...>>

Mark, this is why I have, for the most part, stayed in the background on this
thread.  While I disagree with many of your contentions about the origins of
blues, jazz, and even C&W, Ian often makes the same argument I would, and
since I am on the digest, my post would be the proverbial "Day late...".

>>I will only say again that what you're talking about on the plantations
wasn't the form we now recognize as The Blues. You are using too broad a
definition.>>

Mark-who is this "we" that has decided what to recognize as the blues? Muddy,
Son House, Robert Johnson, heck, even Buddy Guy worked and played on
plantations.  My definition of the Blues is no more broad than your
definition of Jazz or C&W.  When I started college I took a "History of Rock
And Roll" course.  The instructor informed us that the blues was 12 bars
long, and that lyrically the 2nd and 4th verses were identical to the 1st,
while the 3rd verse was different.  Is this the form that "We recognize"?
 "We" are missing an awful lot if that is the case.  Muddy and Robert Johnson
and all the other Delta Bluesmen rarely played any Blues that fit into this
narrow formula.

Regarding "Prehistoric Blues" by Thaag and the Sabre-Tooths, everyone knows
that this is a total ripoff of the famous Neanderthal folk song "Darling,
What's For Tea?"  In fact, the first demo of "Prehistoric Blues" was recently
discovered in the caves of Altimira, along with a painted depiction of Thaag
being served legal tablets in what is now considered to be the first
plagiarism suit.

Scott