Pete's Projects

There's been some discussion and criticism of Pete working on "old" ideas
rather than trying to develop a new thematic piece. Pete's been spending time
lately on new incarnations of TOMMY, producing a stage version of
QUADROPHENIA, and reviving LIFEHOUSE (portions of which can be heard in
PSYCHODERELICT).  There's been some wondering as to why Pete is doing this.
 I offer that Pete is doing this (1) because he now has the clout to do it,
and (2) because working old ideas has been a part of him since at least 1975.

1.  Pete can do IRON MAN, QUAD, and LIFEHOUSE because he's got the personal
money and clout to invest in it.  Because of TOMMY's success, people are now
interested in Pete Townshend's "old stories."

2.  Pete has demonstrated since the late 70s that he would like to see his
"major" works fully realized.  Note: the TOMMY movie of 75, the QUAD movie of
79, the TOMMY stage version that appeared in London in 79, Pete's discussions
of doing LIFEHOUSE (remember when there was talk of Entwistle contributing
905 to Pete's story?).  Pete talked LIFEHOUSE in the late 70s and now he's
talking it again in the mid 90s.  I think this revisionism has become a part
of Pete's personality.

--Jim