The Pre-Historical Blues (no Who content)

>As nebulous as that last sentence is, this paragraph explains a lot.  It
>tells me that your definition of Jazz is too broad (i.e. includes all of
>Jazz's lineage), and your definition of Blues is too limited (ignores the
>fact that Blues originated from Slave songs in the early 19th century).

Kevin:

No no no! I said (more than once, most likely) that Blues came out of
Spirituals/Gospel/early Country. But that doesn't mean that Spirituals ARE
Blues. You can't have it both ways. There's no end to it if you broaden your
definition to that point.
PS my definition of Jazz certainly includes Ragtime, as Jazz (and not as
anything else). Just as RnR became a sub-genre of Rock even though it
existed earlier, Ragtime became a form of the larger music style which was
also called Jazz.

>"...the form that is now called Blues.."
>
>Mark, what does this mean?  Delta (Country) Blues existed a long time
>before Ragtime, coming directly out of Spirituals.  If you play that
>Spiritual from 1803 today, it would be called Delta Blues.

No it wouldn't. There are distinct differences in Spirituals and Blues, not
the least in subject matter. There are differences in form, too...but do we
need to get this deep into it? As I said before, you can't call a Spiritual
song Blues and then claim that it came from itself. If so, then old Thaag
and his Rock was a Bluesman...

Dum-DUM-De-dum "I was out huntin' the other day." Dum-DUM-De-dum "Some evil
Neanderthal took my woman away." Dum-DUM-De-dum "I went to his cave to drag
her back by the hair." Dum-DUM-De-dum "She looked me in the eye and said
that she don't care." Dum-DUM-De-dum "I've got the pre-History Blues."
Dum-DUM-De-dum "I've got nuttin' left to lose." Dum-DUM-De-dum Etc.

copyright BC Stonehenge productions unlimited. Recorded live by Thaag and
the Saber Tooth Jazz Band.

>I've only been during Mardi Gras, which is of course quite a different
>animal than your everyday life in the city.
>[snip accurate description of Mardi Gras]
>
>Which only goes to show that you've never been to New Orleans, just to
>Mardi Gras.

As I said, and as I suggested for the `98 WhoFest...during Mardi Gras.

                   Cheers                   ML