Blues, etc (no Who content)

From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)

I also think that we're talking about two different things...and that
your
definition is of Blues too broad, while your definition of Jazz is too
narrow. When I say Blues, I mean the form that is now called Blues, not
an
acoustic Spritual from the year 1803 or something. When I say Jazz, I'm
talking about forms that were actually called Jazz at the time.
<<<

As nebulous as that last sentence is, this paragraph explains a lot.  It
tells me that your definition of Jazz is too broad (i.e. includes all of
Jazz's lineage), and your definition of Blues is too limited (ignores the
fact that Blues originated from Slave songs in the early 19th century).

"...the form that is now called Blues.."

Mark, what does this mean?  Delta (Country) Blues existed a long time
before Ragtime, coming directly out of Spirituals.  If you play that
Spiritual from 1803 today, it would be called Delta Blues.  This form of
Blues (and, as I pointed out before, there's more than just one) is
relatively unchanged at least from the early '20's.  But that's not when
it started.  Robert Johnson's sessions in San Antonio weren't the
*beginning* of Blues, just one of the first *recordings* of that form.

re: New Orleans -

I've only been during Mardi Gras, which is of course quite a different
animal than your everyday life in the city.
[snip accurate description of Mardi Gras]
<<<

Which only goes to show that you've never been to New Orleans, just to
Mardi Gras.

You just have to know what you're doing...and I must assume that a Who
fan would be
at the least somewhat intelligent...
<<<

Yeah, I know..., us non-Who fans are such *Gomers*...  d:o

OK,
KLW

"Po-jama People, Po-jama People...
 Lawd, they make yuh sleepy with the things they might say..."  - FZ