Jazz, Blues, N'Awlins...

Mark L Writes:

I think it does come down to that in the end: no one is going to
be able pin exactly when these forms developed (mainly, I'd say, because
almost none of it was being recorded).
<<<

Personally, I wasn't trying to pin down when the forms developed, I was
trying to make a case for which beget which...  Ian provided a pretty
decent piece of text from some offbeat little group called The
Smithsonian that seems to have bounced right off!  The only thing I can
think of to explain your total dismissal of the historical progression
that Ian, Scott, myself and others have provided is that our definitions
must be totally different.  Otherwise, I am at a loss...

Ah, New Orleans! My favorite city...I go to Mardi Gras every year (well,
I've missed a few lately) and love every second of it. Jazz and Blues
fill
the air of Bourbon Street at all times...fantastic!
<<<

Well, it must have been more than a few that you've missed.  I was there
last spring and it was a total shit-hole.  I went in the early eighties
and thought it was a pretty cool (if overpriced) place - at least there
was a lot of good jazz.  This last time, I was appalled that most of the
joints on Bourbon street are now Pop/Rap/Karaoke, the drink prices are
outrageous, there are more t-shirt shops than anything else, and eleven
people were killed in the city in the five days I was there.  In the
French Quarter.  I'd rather go to San Ber'dino...

OK,
KLW

"ah, Bobby, I'm sorry ya got a head like a potato, I really am..."