Re: My Generation/Who vs Zep/Pagey/Brainwashed

Mark Leaman, Re:

>That's quite all right. I don't want to tax the patience of the Digest
>members to the point of quoting entire sections of books. Dueling Resources.
>What I said was that Jazz was around first, and Blues IN THEIR PRESENT FORM,
>and that means changed from the Spirituals and Folk that came before them,
>arose out of that. Blues came into their popularity via Jazz bands, too.
>Robert Johnson etc. were virtually unknown in their time.

        I got rid of that pesky Tesco Vee.

        If I may add something to this fascinating discussion, I think it
is somewhat difficult to pinpoint exactly when Jazz and Blues was created.
However, my understanding is that Blues developed from songs slaves would
sing about hardship and spirituality, especially while working in the
fields.  I believe at about the same time, Jazz was developing in a
slightly different way.  Unlike Blues, Jazz can be traced to a particular
place:  New Orleans.  The first time I visited that city, I learned that in
the time of slavery, Louisiana was the only state that allowed slaves to
have "a day off," which was every Sunday.  Slaves would congregate on that
day, every week in a park called Congo Square, which is adjacent to
Armstrong Park today.  They would play their drums and other instruments in
an improvised manner, and this is where many people claim Jazz originated.
After slavery was abolished, Jazz came into its own when the many bordellos
in New Orleans was established;  The proprietors needed musicians to play
in their establishments, to help keep the customers happy.  Sorry for the
history lesson, and I don't know if it helps the discussion, but I find
this subject very interesting.
                                                                         Stacey