Bruford

I apologize for forgetting who posted it, but someone mentioned about Bruford
being a minimalist drummer. Definitely true, although he had the chops to
open up.  My May 30 post about drummers suggested that Bruford's addition to
the Who would have been very interesting--not at all a repetition of the kind
of Who we had heard previously with Moon.  I think the same can be said of
Carl Palmer, who has the chops to play minimal and wide-open.  Also, I
believe that Bruford and Palmer could be imaginative and expressive.  They
didn't play like Moon because they didn't have to (Palmer opened it up a bit
more on record in ELP, I do believe; don't quote me because I haven't dug
into their respective careers that much).  Palmer certainly showed a "big
drum" approach with big fills in Asia, so I have to think he could have done
it minimal or Moonie.

BTW, to Litgo, I think--the Who toured in 79 with the brass section on their
American gigs (I can't recall if they did so on their European shows in
summer, 79).  Roger obviously relented to the horn section, but certainly not
the second guitarist nor the full-time keyboard player.

--Jim