Re: My Generation/Who vs Zep/Pagey/Brainwashed

>Exactly Mark, you're talking about the recorded Who version, but you
>can't see beyond what this song would sound like stripped.  I've already
>diagnosed this song in it's popular form for reasons why it IS the first
>rock song yet you let this go by the wayside.  You were telling me about
>YRGM being based on the blues because Ray said so on his recent solo
>tour.  Are you now going to tell me that YRGM in it's recorded form isn't
>an innovation away from rock?  Yet I've read the same thing about MG
>which Pete talks about MG being originally based on the blues (not
>altered mind you like your supposed "Memphis Tenn" version (try 12 bar
>blues first)) mentioning Jimmy Reed.  The fact is My Gen in it's recorded
>form IS an innovation, BUT it doesn't escapse the basis of the blues,
>pure and simple, just like YRGM.  First of all, you have to think of what
>is really the blues?  The blues means hardship, pain, etc. What does Pete
>write about?  Where do you think he got these ideas?  Could it be his
>friends record collection?  The American who had tons of jazz, blues and
>R+B albums??

Ian:

Now you're speculating on what Townshend was listening to. His Dad MIGHT
have had a bit of Jazz, since (after all) he was in a Jazz band. Ya think?
You're assuming too broad a meaning for Blues here. I'm talking about the
form, not what the song is about. And MG is about rebellion anyway.
You Really Got Me is Blues...try playing it slow and you'll see. MG doesn't
become Blues by slowing it down. It's still Rock.
You're also claiming that the authors of various music books are out to
brainwash people.

Really, Ian, what do you think these things do to your credibility?

But I see that now you're at least willing to admit that MG was innovative
in its recorded form, which is all I claimed anyway.

>As I said in another post, this isn't true.  The Blues is the basis for
>black music in America.  If you believe this then it's no wonder why
>you're wrong.  What you call Gospel in 1865, is really the blues.
>And again, the Blues NEVER
>EVER grew out of jazz.  If it wasn't for the blues, we wouldn't have
>jazz.

Do a little more research.

>Because the song opened up with chords?  Is that all?  Think of My Gen
>plucked in single notes, it's not far from the blues at all.

To make MG into Blues (as he did live in the late `70s), Townshend had to
alter it to another form. That should mean something to you.

                   Cheers                   ML