Re: Who CD News -- It's Official: John Astley's an Idiot

born2run, Re:

> First of all, how many people out there regularly listen to all 80+ minutes
> of Quadrophenia?

I do, and I enjoy doing so.

It's the same what I'm doing with every (Who and Non-Who) CD I own:  I
regularly play them in their entirety.  Those I like most (read: Who), I play
more often, the others less...

Now, as I believe that every studio album has its own artistic value, I run
into a little trouble if a CD contains bonus tracks.  What I do sounds simple:
I listen to the original part of the CD on one day, and to the bonus tracks on
some completely different day.  But since I am a lazy person and since
programming my CD player means typing in every single song number (uh - I think
it's time that audio industry develops something more convenient - what about
a system that automatically detects which CD is in the player and then offers
several programs to choose from?), I'm not all to happy about my original+bonus
type CDs.  Especially if you consider that I play the stuff very, very often.

Thus, as far as I am concerned, I don't like bonus tracks at all.  I'd prefer
to see them being released on several `Odds and Sods' type of CDs.  But that's
just IMHO...

Tommy or Quad with bonus tracks?  Nah, that's not what I'd like to see.

> And what about the semi-trance you're in halfway through Quadrophenia?  Is
> that destroyed by having to get up to put in the second disc?  Not all of us
> have CD changers.

No problem.  Switching disks takes less than one minute, provided you don't
have to program anything.  That's short enough to preserve my semi-trance...
:-)

> And as far as trances go, what about the one you're in at the end of Won't
> Get Fooled Again?  Apparently (and thankfully) that wasn't sufficient reason
> to leave bonus tracks off of Who's Next.

I have to admit (and I know that now a lot of you listers won't understand me)
that the fact that there were bonus tracks was one of the reasons why I didn't
buy the remastered Who's Next so far.  (One other reason is that I don't like
the remastered Baba O'Riley, but that's another story...)  The mere thought of
having to type `1 Program Memory 2 PM 3 PM 4 PM 5 PM 6 PM 7 PM 8 PM 9 PM Play'
everytime I want to listen to WN makes me shiver... :-)

> This is all so silly -- as long as the original running order of Quadrophenia
> was retained and there's a sufficient break (say 15-30 seconds) after the end
> of Love Reign O'er Me, the addition of bonus tracks would in no way sully the
> artistic integrity of the core album.

I'll agree with you as soon as I will get the CD player technology I'm longing
for.  But till then, uh, I don't want any bonus tracks...

Just out of curiosity, what are your (and the other listers') habits of
listening to Who records?  Entire CDs?  Special song selections?  Or this crazy
stick-to-the-original habit of mine? :-)

Cheers,

Bernd