Re: My Generation/Who vs Zep/Pagey

>I didn't claim it's just the lyrics, but what was going on in the song as
>well (which you have never pointed out).  Put those together and you have
>the song, you're arguing something you can't win because you can't prove
>it. Knowing what you hear is like someone saying they heard four shots
>not three in Dallas.  All I'm saying is that if you strip the song
>naked, it's a song built on the blues.  Imagine no drums, no bass, the guitar
>is acoustic.

Ian:

Look, I'm not going to accuse you of being arrogant (I'm arrogant, but I'm
aware of it and have learned to live with it)...but it's certainly an
arrogant attitude to think that you have to have music theory to understand
music. Again, I know what I'm hearing here. I've heard tons of Blues and
Rock, and I know the difference.
I said that the song was based on Blues, if you'll look back a few notes.
But the song, as recorded, bares little to no relation to a Blues song. Tell
you what: name the Blues song that MG was based on. Find one pre-Generation
that sounds even similar. I'm not talking about the demo, or an acoustic
version....I'm talking about My Generation (as it was recorded).

>What??  The call and response is imbedded within the actual single of
>the song, altering is unecessary.   You're right, every song with
>this characteristic is not Blues, it could also be jazz or R+B, but still
>closely rooted in the blues.  However in this case it's pretty
>unmistakeable.  You've been trying to tell us for months how this song
>went beyond typical boundaries.  The truth is nothing can be more
>ironic.  Stop being so stubborn; I know this is the first rock song.

Rooted in Jazz, you mean. Blues grew out of Jazz, you know...from Gospel and
C&W as I mentioned earlier. All popular music came from this source, and if
you want to trace it back far enough it all comes from Folk or Minstrel.
I'm not denying that the song CAME from Blues, but it was done (structured)
in a new way...one that broke the stranglehold Berry/Blues had on RnR.
That's all I've ever claimed for the song.

                   Cheers                   ML