Somebody Saved Me

In an interview with Musician's Bill Flannagan back in about '85 (reprinted
with a different edit in BF's fascinating book "Written In My Soul:
 Conversations With Rock's Great Songwriters"), Pete mentions that the Who
recorded a version of "Somebody Saved Me" that was never used.  This is one
of my all-time favorite Pete songs, and I have desperately wanted to hear The
Who's version for 10 years now.  Anyone heard it?  Anyone have it?

If I could ask Pete one question, I have always wondered who was this
friend...
And there was a soul in whom I could depend
He worked himself crazy while I laid in bed
I never leaned on a person like I leaned on him
And when I finally woke up clean
My friend was dead
Stone dead

Any thoughts?