RE: Coolest Who ThingSun Dec 7 14:51:22 PST 1997

As well as a Who fan, i also collect pinballs.  So when Data East
announced they had aquired the rights to produce a Tommy-based game, i
started saving my schekels.   Bought one new in the box.  Then i managed
to locate the protoypes (only 11 of them built) which were made for
promotional purposes. They have a different backglass (actually, there
are 3 versions of the glass), slightly different colour cases, different
playfield with lots of extras: the airplane drops balls like bombs,
there is a shaker motor, mechanical chimes to simulate an old game,
different versions of songs and speech. Some toured the U.S., at record
stores or radio stations stirring-up interest in the play.  Two of them
were used in the Macy's thanksgiving day parade.  I managed to buy one
of those.
So now the production and prototype sit side by side (with a World Cup
Soccer for good measure) in my basement.
I also have a Wizard! and a Capt. Fantastic, both of which were based on
the Tommy movie.
For anyone who'd like to see the prototype playfield, email me, and i'll
send you a gif.
(or for any non-Who pinball talk)
I'm also trying to track-down the other 9 prototypes (one was smashed,
it fell off a truck in Texas).  If you know someone who has one, please
let me know.
Mike