Re: Who influenced Who->

On Tue, 28 May 1996, Mark Leaman wrote:

> >> MEATY BEATY BIG AND BOUNCY (with a lineup like this, how could it not be
> >> classic?)
>
> Ah, but it came out at the time, not after the band was gone. Besides, if
> you're going to allow live albums you have to allow best ofs, too.

Greatest hits don't generally bring anything new (until the last couple of
years), they are all the greatest hits culled from the catalogue (with the
occasional oddball mix) while a live album (ie L@L) shows a side of the
band you never see in the studio.

> Oh, you are SO busted on this one. Pete wrote ICSFM in `66 and was saving
> it, as you may recall. And Armenia wasn't written by anyone in the band;
> Speedy Keen wrote it. So much for that.
> And several songs that were recorded for SO were put to tape in `66, but got
> cut. So Pete was already thinking along these lines, you see.

Along what lines?  Neither of these songs contributes to the theme of the
album.  OK, the songs weren't written in response to the psychadelia in
SP, they still were psychadelic songs on a concept album.

> I'd call the melodic thing a real stretch. The Beatles were more melodic on
> other albums, too...so why now would they influence The Who? I've said
> before that if ANY Beatles album influenced The Who, it was REVOLVER.

If you see no link between Sgt Pepper & Sell Out now, I guess nothing I say
will convince you 29 years after their release.

> There certainly is a gap between all of the songs on SPLHCB with the
> exception of Good Morning/Sgt. Peppers (revisited)/A Day In The Life.

I was wrong when I said the songs blended (only the first 2 and last 2)
but I was right when I said there was no gap:  "The sequence of songs on
Pepper is famous in itself, being - on the vinyl version - two continuous
sides of music, without pauses between songs, or 'banding' to use
recording parlance."  from the liner notes of Sgt Pepper.

Shane Matheson						MechEng/CompSci UWO

	"I smash guitars because I like them. " -- Pete Townshend