Re: BBE vs. STH

>I still question that.  What sort of sales are you talking about?
>Within a year?  Are you talking about rock albums, or all albums?
>What do you think of Dark Side of the Moon sales, which is one of the
>better selling albums in the long-term?

Brad:

I'm talking pure sales. It wasn't too long after THRILLER was released it
was announced that it was the best selling album of all time. What does that
mean? I assume that it sold more copies than any album had at that point.
Has another overtaken it? If so, I haven't heard about it.

>Admittedly, I don't know the entire history of the era.  But I have
>never in my life until this week heard anyone suggest that The Who and
>My Generation was the first rock song ever.  Or the first hard rock
>song, or whatever it is you're saying.  I don't have to argue it, you
>do.  You put forth the pretty ambitious claim that it's the first rock
>song, that Townshend invented the whole genre, whatever genre you're
>referring to.  Seriously, is this a general feeling world-wide, your
>own pet idea, a little theory on this e-mail group, or what?  If this
>is so obvious a fact, why isn't PT constantly being introduced as the
>man who invented rock n' roll, or similar garbage?

Well, I came to the conclusion myself when my collection got to the point
where I could see it. And none of the music I've heard from that era since
has given me any different impression, and I've heard a lot. All of the
majors, at least.
But clearly I'm not the only one who reached this conclusion. There are
others here on the Digest that have said the same. And in this group of 350,
that's rather significant. Surely others have also seen this. I think it was
Stacey who spoke of a recent article stating similar ideas. Gary M came to
the same conclusion without my statement. And the evidence is there for all
to see.
How widespread is it? I can't say. Why is Pete not introduced as the man who
invented Rock? I would answer with other questions: why has The Who been
underrated from the beginning in the face of all evidence to the contrary?
Why are they not considered in the same league with the Stones and Beatles,
as clearly they were from day one? Why is it only now, 14 years after they
broke up, are they finally coming into their own? QUAD was blasted by
critics when it was released; now it's acknowledged as one of the best Rock
albums.
Don't ask me! I can't understand it either!

                   Cheers                   ML