Re: MG first "rock" song

At 12:28 PM 5/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Gary M. Gillman wrote
>> the folk/r&b/soul/blues influences they started with, only the Who IMO
>> recast those elements into the modern basis for rock as we know it today,
>> i.e., pop songs based largely on a powerful, prominent rhythm guitar sound
>> played suspended-style or in the thrashing Pictures of Lily mode, with
>> virtuoso bass and drum backing. Today, Green Day dominate this style, and
>
>What's suspended style?  Are you referring to sus chords, or to
>holding the note?
>

>--
>- Brad Goldman
> (Brad@jimmy.harvard.edu)
>

>Yes, I mean suspended (or sustained) chords - a staple of the modern rock
sound. Think of Jack and Diane, Summer of '69, Jailbreak, Power Windows, all
of Boston, Cheap Trick, Styx, Green Day, Smithereens, Def Leppard, AC/DC,
some Van Halen, and there are hundreds of other other examples. I maintain
this is Townshend's signature power chord sound developed in the late 60's,
showcased live at Leeds and refined on Who's Next....Gary M.