MG first "rock" song

I'd like to elaborate on my earlier views on this question. People have
mentioned the Kinks, Byrds, Dylan and Beatles, all bands I admire, but while
they show some of the elements which went beyond, or made somethig new of,
the folk/r&b/soul/blues influences they started with, only the Who IMO
recast those elements into the modern basis for rock as we know it today,
i.e., pop songs based largely on a powerful, prominent rhythm guitar sound
played suspended-style or in the thrashing Pictures of Lily mode, with
virtuoso bass and drum backing. Today, Green Day dominate this style, and
Pearl Jam. In the 70's and 80's, the Sex Pistols and Ramones did it and many
others, some of whom I mentioned earlier. In other words, the power trio
concept, enhanced post-1960's with keyboard or synth work. While Cream was
important here, and Hendix, they were following the Who's footsteps, at
least on the non-blues side (and modern hard rock is not principally blues
based). Thus, You Really Got Me is not the first "rock"/metal song, although
it was certainly an influence on the Who. MG has the over-the-top drums and
expressive bass playing which became a staple of 70's-90's rock. YRGM lacks
those elements and also lacks Daltrey's confident rock vocal. YRGM still
shows the influence of the r&b/ska background of Louie Louie, but MG and the
Who's subsequent singles, and Tommy and Who's Next, not to mention their
live show as captured on LAL, are qualitatively different. It's not a
Dylanised Beatles or Beatlised Dylan -  it's not a magnified blues or
country sound - it's pure rock and the basis for heavy metal....Gary M.