Re: BBE vs. STH

>> From: mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)

>> Stairway (or I should say Zeppelin) aren't of the same quality (in other
>> words, 90% of them play mindless imitations of Zep) as the ones influenced
>> by The Who (who are on the whole a LOT more original and influencial in
>> their own rite).
>
>This is a real can of worms here. We'd have to agree on which bands
>were influenced, and how much, and what part of the influencing band's
>music was used, etc.  Again, I'm not out to do a Who vs. Zep argument
>(which this is naturally degenerating into), but merely to say that
>they're both incredibly great bands, and to say that one is a joke is
>unreasonable.

Brad:

It wasn't I who said they were a joke, or that Stairway was a joke. I think
Stairway is a fine song, but I suppose I'm more into reality than mythic songs.

>I hear the Who much more than Journey or Kansas.  As for Genesis or
>Lynyrd Skynyrd, they ain't the who, but they ain't crap either.

Well, to me Journey sounds like a cleaned-up, sterilized Zep. High vocals,
Blues-based songs, soaring leads and all. Kansas...again, we're talking
about a formula based on Zep songs.
Genesis without Gabriel is pretty much crap. Radio fodder. LS are one reason
the myth of Southern redneckism continues...Gimme Three Steps, What's That
Smell, Sweet Home Alabama...at times like this, I'm ashamed to be from the
South. At least we have Widespread, REM, etc.

>As Shane will say in a few paragraphs, long-term sales are a better
>indicator.

And I've already spoken to that.

>> I use the ML ear guide to great music. OK, I've been able to pick out the
>> quality bands since the early '70s...and time has proven me right, so far.

>Funny, I could say that exact same paragraph about my own taste in music.

I can only stand on my research and track record. I wouldn't call it taste,
either...some of the bands I didn't like, even though I could recognize
their quality.

>Zigackly.  Thriller doesn't exactly speak to the ages.

You don't know that yet, do you? And I'm not going to get into arguing about
individual albums or bands "beating" Zep. The fact remains that many bands
have outsold LZ.

>> The Who were the only ultimate Rock band ever, as they invented the genre
>> while Page was still a session player and sustained it throughout their
>> career. Page extended the Blues, but Townshend literally invented a new form.
>
>To put it generously, this is arguable.

So argue. Them's the facts, as they say around here. If you listen to The
Yardbirds with Page and then Zep I the progression is obvious. The Yardbirds
w/Page even did Dazed And Confused! MG was the first Rock song, while Page
was still playing as a session man (that much is history, my friend).
My point would also be that Page didn't do anything that Clapton, Green, and
Beck (among others) weren't already doing. How could Zep come across as so
incredible to anyone who had heard FRESH CREAM the year before? Or Fleetwood
Mac with Peter Green? Or The Yardbirds with Beck, for that matter?

                   Cheers                   ML