The Band's Name: who; Who; The Who; Who?

     Here's something I haven't seen pondered on the list yet.  When discussing our favorite band, how exactly do _you_ write their name?  What do you think is the official name?  And when you refer to the band, do you use the plural form? ["The Who is great."...or..."The Who are great."]

     Which do you think is correct?

     1. who
     2. the who
     3. Who
     4. The Who

     My vote is for The Who and I always refer to them in the plural.  Now I know there are many more permutations out there.  If we really wanted to show our biases, we would call them THE WHO!  And I wonder why we've almost never seen the use of a question mark with their name.  I'd love to know the very first official usage.

Tim Herrlinger