Best Five

Hm, it's really more difficult to compose a `best five' than a `worst five'
list.  But here I go anyway, though the following arrangement will always be
under reconstruction...  All comments are IMHO, of course.

   1.  `I Can See For Miles'

   No doubt.  Greatest song ever recorded by any band.  Lyrically, contains
   typical Who humour and Who chauvinism.  Musically, requires all four of the
   boys to perform at very the top of their abilities.  Cannot be covered
   reasonably by any other band.  Ah, those drums rolling over and over -
   definitely The Who at their best.

   2.  `Join Together'

   Sure, very simple song - simple tunes for all instruments, simple beat, very
   simple lyrics.  But, hey, that simplicity ROCKS!

   3.  `Substitute'

   Their early masterpiece.  Irony meets teenage angst meets bitterness.  Even
   if some evil force dragged me away from my stereo equipment forever, I would
   never forget these guitars and that famous bass line...

   4.  `My Wife'

   Hm, maybe that's a personal matter.  Reminds me of the many arguments I
   already had with my wife.  And of the fun the two of us had when we were
   trying to figure out the lyrics (`black belt judo expert').  MW rocks!

   5.  `Love Reign O'er Me'

   The climax and the essence of Quadrophenia.  Great piano intro, excellent
   instrumentation, unsurpassed vocals singing fantastic verses.  Ah...

Honourably mentioned:

   6.  `Pure And Easy'
   7.  `The Hawker'                  (just a cover song, but anyway...)
   8.  `The Punk And The Godfather'
   9.  `Bargein'
  10.  `Doctor, Doctor'
  11.  `Pinball Wizard'
  12.  `Who Are You'
  13.  `Athena'
  14.  `Pictures Of Lily'
  15.  `So Sad About Us'

and many, many more.  (Why do I number them???  Tomorrow the order after #7
might be totally different again.)

Bernd