"Words/between the lines of age..."

> >> Now why doesn't that surprise me?
> >
> >Because you can't see reality? :)
>

> To mis-quote Ray Davies: "The 90's are here/I know `cause I staring right at
> `em..."
> Reality is my life. And I know a good song from a bad one, easily. "Lick my
> gelt you asshole..." is not in the same league with "I can't be held
> resposible for wrong behavior/I've lost all contact with my only
savior..."

Selective listening perhaps?  "Nick my gelt.." was said once in the song,
"Don't Let Go of the Coat" is the chorus.  On the surface, both are pretty
stupid.  What about "How can we forgive a grievance, now that we all live
with demons"?

> Then how about: "There's a stone in my shoe/So I can't catch you up/My
> head's in a lion's mouth/Wants to eat me up..." & "Don't want to breathe
> down the phone/I need your help/So I can do it by myself..." (as if anyone
> in the world can't figure out how to do it themselves...and to write a song
> about it, too, as if it was some major problem! Sheesh! Doesn't Townshend
> know that there are starving people out there who won't murder an animal or
> a plant

Mark, it's the music I like....the words are secondary. I'm not a poet,
never hope to be one.  I listen for what matters most.  What about the
jangle of the Rickenbacker on "Don't Look Away"?  The interesting
harmony with "Don't go and hide, yesterday you were my girlfriend"?  What
about the bass on "How Can You Do it Alone"?  If I want to be indulged with
poetry, I'll listen to Dylan.  Of course you listen to the Kinks with the
lyrics as the forefront, but for the Who it's always been the music.
That doesn't mean Townshend is an excellent songwriter, but his gift for
melody was just as great.

> >BTW do you mean whipping or "whip-un"?  Growing up in the south with
> parents >who came from the northeast was an interesting experience. The only
> term I >know is spanking.
>
> A Hiding - as in: to tan one's hide, or to have one's hide tanned. Ex. "Son,
> I'm a-gonna tan yo' hide if-n you don't put my chainsaw daw-en and git back
> in the tub with thet dawg! Yer ah-askin' for a hidin', boy."
>
> In the South, cheerleaders sing things like: "Gonna whomp `em up side the
> head/Gonna whomp `em up side the head/Yeah yeah yeah." (this is not a misprint)
> Not to be confused with "Whomp/There it is."
>
> (with apologies to those who get offended by the use of a dialect)
>
> My father was from Pennsylvania and my mother from NC. So I got the -> worst
n> <- of both worlds. At least I was able to see the beauty of the Smoky
> mountains, for which my spirit will always be hungry.

I hope your time wasn't wasted by this Mark, I was making a joke.
Personally I enjoy living in VA, so much that I kill myself ten weeks out
of the year to use my Eagles season tix in Philadelphia.