Subject: Re: The attack of Germany or Mark vs Bernd

Mark, re:

>>You hate to see this thing end, don't you?

Actually, I'm indifferent. I enjoyed seeing the diverse viewpoints in this
subject matter. Whether it continues or ends is YOUR business, not really
mine.

>>Ah, yes, but since then we've learned that there was no possibility of
resolution, due to the debating manner of...well, you know. So it was and
would have a complete waste of time

Not necessisarily. After all, face to face, you may have been able to come to
some agreement to disagree and end it then and there. Ignoring it for a later
date, didn't resolve anything, did it?

For example, prior to the concerts, Lauren & I were fighting. While it wasn't
the time or place to discuss our differences at the Molly Wee Wee, I at least
respected her sentiments for attempting some sort of positive communication.
While that didn't get my immediate attention, after seeing her every day for
a week with the look of "reconciliation" on her face, I couldn't help but say
to myself, "perhaps I'm being too harsh on her." It's hard to be "rough" on
someone who at least wants to meet you "half way" (so to speak). By the end
of the week, we shook hands. I can't say that we're friends, but I can say
that we've stopped fighting and maybe one day we will be friends, perhaps
not. I've had fights with other people on the list---some their fault, some
mine. But, we've "kissed and made up" since. Sometimes it's easy to get
wrapped up in some BS, but I'm generally a good judge of character.

I'd say that both you and Bernd are probably both pretty good guys. However,
you both decided to engage in a conversation that's unwinable. If it were a
matter of "points", I think you got more facts across in your argument.
Unfortunately, religion is something that is a too volitaile subject that
arrouses people's emotions. Intellectually, they may agree with what you're
saying, but deep down inside, this is how they were brought up  and that's
more powerful than anything else you can say. I think you erred in judgement
for continuing the conversation, although I respected your right to do so...

>> I can appreciate your desire for a conflict (even as I arrived, first of
the two, you told me that you had brought the boxing gloves, and I can only
imagine what you might have said to Bernd the night before), but I'm afraid
you were to be disappointed this time.

I don't think I said much at all to Bernd the night before, other than "Hey
where's MY Polydor 'Quadrophenia'!!!" (several times) and a few "vere r yourr
paapers?" kinda things... I think Bernd was a little out of it the first
night. Long flight, no sleep, loud bar and all these crazy Americakaners!
Trust me, you weren't "set up"... :)

>>No indeed, it was a straightforward compliment. After, over the course of
the last year or so, having many people EMail me privately and say: "Don't
support WF in this!"

Mark, anyone that e-mails you and tells you what you shouldn't or should say
is a complete twit. Quite frankly, I'm surprised a bit by your desire to talk
to such people. I have a mind of my own and so do you, but I don't think
either of us need to be told what to do...

- -wf