Re: Entwistle and Squire (mostly Squire)

From: Bernd Gramlich <gramlich@btm1x1.mat.uni-bayreuth.de>

While I acknowledge a technically very profound bass playing here, I
wouldn't
say that the bass drives the song
[...]
But this might be a problem of the respective musical genres
<<<

Exactly why I don't think they should be compared, just acknowledged for
their own individual expertise.  Saying one is "better" than the other is
comparing apples and pasta.

Jim's suggestions are excellent, and I would only add "Starship Trooper"
from The Yes Album.

It's just a personal impression.  There are a lot of things I don't like
about
Yes:  Anderson's voice, the very prominent keyboards as opposed to the
rather
under-mixed guitar, the emphasis on solos, the lyrical topics
<<<

Fair enough.

> I don't see that it's necessary to only search out Yes stuff where
Squire is
> "superior" to JAE.

Well, that wasn't my idea but Kevin's.
<<<

Huh?  When did I come up with that idea?  I'm the original
Don't-Compare-Zep-And-The-Who-And-Yes-And-Floyd-Because-They're-All-The-Be
st-At-What-They-Do guy. I only made some suggestions in response to your
asking what to listen to that showed Squire's abilities.

OK,
KLW

ps:  I've got five bucks that says *neither* Mark nor Bernd, despite
several public declarations to the contrary, are finished ragging yet.