Re: JE misjudgement

>From: thirteen@the-spa.com
>Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 02:23:02 -0600
>Subject: JE misjudgement
>
>>When John came on stage, he played "Had Enough", "The Real Me", (some other
>>stupid song--not one of his--the name escapes me...) and "Summertime Blues".
>
>Yeah, a really lame song called Pride and Joy by some stupid guy named
>Stevie Ray Vaughan. What the hell was JE thinking?

You may not like "Pride and Joy", but to call Stevie Ray Vaughan "some
stupid guy" shows a regrettable ignorance of his skill, artistry and
commitment to music.  Anyone who likes Hendrix or early Clapton will find
it worth their time to give Vaughan a listen.  (For those who may not know,
he was killed in a helicopter crash in early '90 at the age of 33 while
leaving an outdoor gig where he opened for Clapton.)

As for what JAE was thinking, Bernd pointed out that Godfrey made the song
selection, but even then I'd think John might enjoy a little variety.  When
he jammed at the China Club in '94 he played "Tush" by ZZ Top and "Whole
Lotta Love" by some damn British band, as well as "My Wife" and Who songs.
Much as I enjoy hearing the latter, I think part of the incredible appeal
of seeing John in jams or informal settings is hearing his treatment of
non-standards.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend