Re: Quad remaster

In a message dated 96-07-26 18:03:02 EDT, Fang writes:

<< I don't know about you, but I can't "enjoy the music" if to me, it sounds
 like <Picard>. I listen to this stuff with the volume cranked way up and if
 it doesn't sound as close to perfect as it should, I don't want to listen to
 it at all.>>

I listen to music loud but not deafening, perhaps a difference. Also any CD
will sound different on my home stereo vs my office system vs my discman.

<< From the moment I popped the new MCA discs in, I KNEW there was
 something wrong. >>

Then I agree, there was something wrong and you are right to bitch and lucky
to find a better copy.

<<I don't believe it's the pressing. This isn't vinyl, it's  0's and 1's. I
think someone got overzealous at the CD factory and as a  result, POOOF! >>

Of course the CD problem is not pressing, but it is production.  Those 0's
and 1's have to be transferred, and this process is not immaculate
conception, it's an electronic transfer, done at high speed and subject to
all sorts of errors and imperfection.  As an example, ever copy a computer
disk, or send a file without error correction and get a bad copy...I have.
 Also the metal "disk" in the CD can be flawed and therefore not "record"
properly.  Not to mention the plastic coating or foreign matter on the disc.
 Remember, what technology can create, application can foul up.

<<Once I've identified that the problem is that it's too bright, friends
(some
 on the list, some not) from around the country have agreed what the problem
 is... You may be satisfied and that's OK, but if you heard the Polydor, you
 might become very unsatisfied, knowing that there's something out there
 that's much better...>>

As I acknowledged in my earlier post, I await the Enhanced HDCD and the DVD
versions with improved resolution and range, which should surpass the levels
possible in this technology.  If the Polydor is truly that much of an
improvement over the MCA, of course I am intrigued.  I just wanted to add my
overall perspective, based on lots of experience and thousands of records and
CDs to the discussion.

Once again, I'm glad you and the other Polydor recipients are
happier...that's what it's all about.  Enjoy!

 - Andy