Re: Pete's Hair

>Hi,
>
>Since we are on the subject of hair, I thought it might be interesting to
>see what people think Pete's best and worst hairstyles are. I think
>Pete's "barnet" is of most interest as the other's have had more or less
>the same hairstyle through the years (even Roger has only gone from short
>to long to short to long, and now back to short).

Funny you should mention that -- I have a theory about Pete's hair that
I've held for some time (the theory, that is, not his hair.  Although
that might explain why he has none -- if I'm holding it...)

Anyway, I've always felt that Pete changed his hair to mirror popular
"young" hairstyles of the times.  And not always successfully.  And not
always in sync with the times -- he's usually a little behind the trend.
 He's always followed fashion (art-school background helps, too.) He did
the long haired thing during the early 70's. The '82 'do was an attempt to
mimic new wave styles. The '89 tour (what I call the
Terence-Stamp-in-Superman II look) with the lame ponytail and beard was
the same look you saw in Hollywood and in popular groups of the time.  The
cover of coolwalkingsmoothtalking... is another example -- he's doing the
goatee thing.  Still trying to keep up with youth culture.

The Grecian Formula Pete from the Supper Club (I swear his hair was darker
in NY than it was in LA for the VH1 honors -- compare your tapes of VH1
and Conan. He dyed it on that day off between shows, I just know it.)
reinforces my idea that he's still hung up on age and trying to connect w/
younger folks. (not that this is a bad thing)

As for best/worst, I like the '78-'81 shortish hair and scruffy beard
look.  Worst would have to be the Chinese Eyes cover comb-over.  Even
more embarrassing than the '82 tour.

Jake, obviously a person w/ too much time on her hands