Quad remaster

I've enjoyed reading all about the MCA vs Polydor Quad debates, and thought
I'd add my perspective.

The Quad MCA reissue marks the fifth time I've purchased Quad.  Twice on
vinyl (after wearing the first out).  Then the "original" CD, the Ultradisc,
and now the MCA.  I am looking forward to the Enhanced HDCD and then the DVD
versions in the future.

To me, first and foremost, they are all Quadrophenia, one of my favorite
recording of all time.  As to comparing...it's hard.  I grew up with the
vinyl, pops, crackles and all, as well as the normal audio variances of vinyl
production.  Compared to that, all the CD versions are cleaner.  Better, of
course, is in the ear of the listener.  Sometimes clarity is not an
improvement when you are familiar and comfortable with a darker, muddier
sound.

The MCA reissue is certainly brighter and sharper.  I don't hear any drastic
drop-offs, but there are always some fluctuations in any music I've heard.
 Plus, after nearly 30 years of going to live shows and even more years of
listening to rock and roll, I'm not sure my ears <...or many of yours, as
well :)...> can be the perfect judges.  I do like some aspects of the
remastering, and Pete insists he's happy with it, which is good enough for
me.

As to possible Polydor/MCA differences, nothing would surprise me.  But, I've
often noticed variances even between multiple copies of same CD bought from
same store, out of same shipment.  One example is REM's Monster, where the
first copy I bought had a strange sound compression in the first 2 tracks,
and was fine thereafter.  The exchanged copy was fine throughout.

Most of us have long experience with the differences between domestic and
overseas pressings of both vinyl and CD.  Even if MCA were to insist the
source material was identical, variances in production and manufacturing
could account for some of the differences we hear.  Plus, the MCA batch is
probably not completely consistent itself, as MCA is hardly noted for its
audiophile attention to detail.

So, to Fang and the rest of you exulting in the improvement in the Polydor
over the MCA...great.  At this point, I'm satisfied with my MCA copy, if you
are not happy with yours, try the Polydor.  But, most of all enjoy the music,
and LONG LIVE ROCK.

 - Andy