Baby Don't You Do It

The more I listen to the studio cut of this on the WN re-release the more
I'm convinced this is really one of PT's great moments on electric guitar in
the studio (Power Plant in this case). It's just amazing that this kind of
quality stuff is only being officially released in this decade. (BTW is this
from the "dumpster" and if so can someone explain what exactly the dumpster
situation was/is all about as I've never understood the full story on
this?). The chordal work is not just slammed-out power chords (although
nothing wrong with that when it's done courtesy PT!) but a kind of
continuous propulsive riffing, somewhat like on A Legal Matter and other
early Who tunes, or in other words, Maximum R&B... As much as I like Leslie
West's lead lines I like to position myself next to the channel with PT's
guitar in it and listen to him fly especially towards the end where there is
a kind of cascading or crescendoing effect. His lead work is good too,
precise and on-key all the way. There is a song where PT plays like this, on
acoustic however, on Rough Mix, that fast boogie number, whose name escapes
me for a moment. The rest of the band on Baby Don't You Do It just rock out
in a soul-oriented kind of hard rock way. This is one of the few Who songs I
like better studio than live, but possibly this is because the live BDYDI
(released as a B-side in the early 70's) is too chaotic, too much of a jam,
to be a great live Who cut. Mind you the way PT plays his electric at the
end is pretty amazing too.... Gary.