A review of MY NY experience

Ok, read it or not....I've never claimed to be a writer, so, some of this may not be gramatically correct, my
spelling sucks,  and it may not even make any sense, but after reading the review Bernd did for the HP show, I
figured that I could let everyone know what I thought of the shows, and NY...(I tried not to ramble to much, but
might have included too much to be interesting...so be ready at the delete button!)

Tuesday 7/16, 7:30am....The alarm came way too early! Should have gone to bed before 5:30am! Thanks to a friend
for getting me to the airport on time! Had met Alan McKendree once, years ago, and saw an Eden Matrix Tee shirt at
the airport, it was him, on the same flight to Newark with me...small friggin world! Unfortunatly...plane was
full, so couldn't talk more with him until the bus from Newark to NY...(VERY nice guy for those that never met
him!) Anyway...got to NY, got Alan to a subway, and wandered to the Molly Wee....didn't have much of an
expectation of the Wee when I left, but the name scared me for some reason....when I opened the door, I felt right
at home...a wonderful little pub...with Guinness Stout ($4.00/pint, ouch!)...finally about 6:30 people started
showing up.....being somewhat introverted, I decided to wait for someone to come talk to me...didn't take
long...Interesting to me, but I really thought I could tell which patrons were on the list...and I think I was
generally correct...The bartender (sandy?) was VERY nice, and thought it was really cool that we chose thier bar
for our gathering....glad I told her, because soon thereafter I got a free pint!  Anyway....talked briefly with
several list members, and some locals....and decided that being the first night, I didn't want to miss anything,
so I got to MSG at about 8:05....had to wander around the garden for awhile so as not to fall asleep during Joan
Osboring, but I must say....If your going to see her, see her open for someone....shorter set, less boring than
the last two shows I'd seen her at....Then the moment I'd waited 6+ years for...another Who show!!!!  And what a
show it was...you've seen plenty of reviews....but I'll add my two cents...I thought the sound mix needed alot of
work...no bass or acoustic guitar to speak of...if anything, I'd rather had everything else out of the
mix....Roger, I don't care what anyone says...he still has it...I've seen them a bunch of times, and don't
remember being as impressed with his range.  "I'm One"...what can I say...my favorite song....and Pete belting it
out live!!! I was in heaven...I just wish everyone didn't know the lyrics as well as they did...I really wanted to
hear The Who play Quad...not the crowd...(thought it was funny though....I think the crowd knew the lyrics better
than roger...at least they didn't need teleprompters!) Also found it interesting that Pete needed to have so much
sheet music...I know it was orchastrated, but hey....it's Quad...can't remember it?  They say memory is the first
to go!  As for the narration...I read someone say it slowed the show down...I whole heartedly disagree...Being a
fan of the movie, I loved the narration...for those in the audience who didn't know the story, It pulled the whole
thing together...and the ending...well....it went alot further then the movie in explaining what happened!!  (I
really liked the 4/1 goodbye wave that Daniels did, and pete copied on Wed or thursday)....I thought the band
seemed tight...the mix needed work, as I'm not sure I heard much of what Jody was doing, nor were the horns a
major factor (although I wasn't there to hear any of that anyway!).
I was fortunate in that the people around me were content to sit down throughout, even though most of the garden
was standing, and nobody around me was being obnoxious...although one guy wasn't singing along, he was
screaming...but at least he knew the words...Nobody seemed too drunk (the fact they quit selling beer EARLY helped
that)...and the people seemed freindly (every night someone from Conneticut ended up talking to me between sets),
and I did meet some genuinly nice people. I really enjoyed the encore, but was dissapointed that John didn't get
featured (in fact, on tuesday, I don't even think the video showed him much at all).  My seats were good, but I
did have to rely on the videos to see the real action...and the video director wasn't as good as I would have
hoped (showing Simon during a whitehorn solo!...and not one shot of Jody that I saw!(although that was corrected
on other nights (like Saturday when she had on the sexy outfit!)) As for Zak...what can I say...he almost looked
like Kieth....not as flayling..but much better than the other drummers they've used!
	After the show, back to the wee...also lucky (tipped) enough to get the 3 for 2 pints! Jerry (another bartender)
was good to me, and made sure my glass was never empty for too long....got to meet a few more listers....and
stayed there until late....too late as it turned out....last train to where I was staying was at 1:30am....I got
to Grand Central Station about 3...oppps!  "You can't sleep here" was heard about every 30 minutes by friendly (!)
NYPD officers....finally about 9:00 I got up the energy to catch a train...unfortunatly I didn't have the energy
to stay wake and ended up a few stops further than I intended, and had to take another train back to where I was
going....met my great uncle at the station (had only met him a few times before!), and got to the house so I could
eat, and nap.....and prepare for another show!

Wed 7/17....trains are fun! NOT! (but they are punctual...never had a train that was more than 5 minutes late)
$5.00 each way for a 30min trip, followed by a few mile walk (from Grand Central to MSG)...could have taken a
subway...but thats another $1.50 each way...and I was on a budget..(my calves hurt!) Another visit to the Molly
Wee...the same friendly bartenders, and a bunch of locals were there amongst the listers...got to meet a few more
people...and this time stayed until about 8:30 so as not to have to see ms. osboring..Thought it was interesting
how many open seats there were, but it sure filled up by the time the real show started....Another awsome
show...the sound, a little better, the energy seemed greater than the night before, and the video director seemed
to get it together a bit better.  Was hoping that the encore would be different, and at least got one different
song (substitute), but still dissapointed that they made it out to be a Roger/Pete show, even introducing John
with the rest of the band. Took more notice wed of the special guests...I hated Idol during Tommy, but this was
great...he was just an actor with a bit part, and he did a fine job!  Gary Glitter was fun to watch, one night
(not sure which) I honestly thought that whitehorn had better watch out or he and Roger could have had a similar
eye troubles. One thing I thought...Magic bus lacked the spark from the night before...seemed like roger & pete
kind of got lost...but it may have just been me!  After the show...back to the wee for pints....but left early to
catch the 12:30 train.....woopppss..forgot where I was going and ended up wondering around times square for awhile
and missed the 12:30...which turned out to be a forunated mistake...met the cutest girl I'd seen in new york
struggling with her luggage trying to catch the 1:30...spent a pleasant hour with her before the train, and rode
with her till I had to get off (almost thought about seeing conneticut with her, had it not been for my limited
budget and need to see more Who shows!) Wish I had gotten her number!  Oh well, the shy guy in me beat out the
romantic...yet again!

Thurs 7/18...got up early (noon or so)...got back on the train...and went to the NY public library....more of a
museaum than a library...very cool new york times exhibit!  Wandered around broadway (sort of looking for the Ed
Sullivan, but never found it)...and watched some con artists play 3 card monty or whatever that is, taking money
from shills and some STUPID young people...You could tell these guys knew how what they were doing...had at least
3 shills and 2-3 lookouts....a cop comes within a block, and they all scater into the crowd, only to set up again
10 minutes later....talked to them for a few minutes, and they said they can each make about $100 on an average
day...just goes to show...there is a sucker born every minute! Again....to the molly wee....In three days I've
become a predictable regular...as the door closed behind me, Jerry was already pouring me a pint!  What a guy!
Met a couple more listers who wanted details on the earlier shows....and had a nice chat with a lovely girl from
NY who was blown away by the fact that I would travel that far (Austin/NY) just to see the shows. Also got to meet
a nice couple who I looked up later at the show (sorry my memory sucks so hard for names!)....enjoyed having
someone to hang with since I was traveling alone, even if only for a few songs....Another great show, the mix
seemed even better, and the crowd a little less vocal in my section.  I never did make it to my sec 307 seat, as
there were plenty of single seats closer up (only got bounced a couple of times)....Hoped they would mix up the
encore again, but you could kind of tell that the whole show was very orchastrated, and improvization hard with a
16 piece band, but another exceptional performance...followed, or course, with another stop at the Wee....wish
Jerry hadn't been so gratious with the Jager shots as walking (staggering) back to Grand Central was more
difficult than previous nights...Couldn't help thinking that Tues or Wed show might have made a better radio
broadcast for some reason...just seemed a little tighter on Wed...but hey, at least there is a radio broadcast,
and I'm sure some nice lister will get me a copy (please!!!)

Fri. 7/19....thought hard about going into the city, but decided since family was putting me up (and putting up
with me) that I would hang, and spend some time with them.  Had a great time getting to know my Great aunt and
uncle better. And got totally caught up on the sleep I'd been missing for a month or two. Also got to watch the
History Channel on Cable....I'm calling my cable operator today to request that they carry it...it's as good as
A&E, Discovery and the Learning channel (My favs!)

Sat. 7/20...Got up early as uncle, cousin and nephew & I went to Reinbeck aerodrome....cool place with pre 1930
airplanes restored and flying....cute shows...neat planes...unfortunatly the wind prevented alot of them from
flying that day, but got rain checks, so they can go back another time for free.....On the way back (driving thru
BEAUTIFUL countryside) I decided I'd hate myself if I didn't try to get to one more who show, even though I had no
ticket...got back too late to catch the early train...so I had to run (literally) from Grand Central to MSG...got
there, found lots of scalpers still asking for $100+ for floor seats, even though the show had already begun...Got
lucky though,....found a guy wondering in with an extra ticket...I offered $5.00 for it....He said $10, I opened
my wallet, had $9.00...got a Sec 40? seat for $9.00....never did make it that high up....went straight to side
stage (pete's side) where the ushers were letting people stand on the stairs....got closer than I had been any
other night, although from where I was, the sound wasn't as clear.  During the encore I wandered all over MSG
trying to check it out from different angles....was actually moved that EVERYONE was singing along during WGFA!
Thought the final "introduction" of John was pretty funny ("Pete, this is John"), and the banter about the
promoter giving the money back floored me....almost thought we might get a couple of "extra" songs...but...hey, I
wasn't complaining!  I thought long and hard about buying an official tee and program, but the $27.00 price tag
was just too steep! Bought a pirate tee outside, even though it was fairly lame...at only $10.00 it was within my
price range...still kicking myself for not getting the program ($15.00)... Headed back to the Wee, where I was
happy to see that Jerry had noticed my absence before the show, and quickly poured me a stout....Long live the
Molly Wee and it's bartenders (and it's juke box)! Drank too much, talked to a few more people, and RAN back to
Grand Central with about 30 seconds to spare....the walk from the train to the house seemed much farther that
night....(my calves still hurt!)

Sunday 7/21...slept late, got a train to catch a bus to make a plane....I hate Continental....double booked most
of the seats...so...open seating...and I was at the bar instead of the gate, hense got to the gate late, had to
sit on the emergency row with non reclining seats....no sleep for the wicked!  Got home around 10pm and was
flattered that my friends were interested enough to let me tell them the stories of my trip....

I wish I could have stayed another couple of days...I know I'll hear about something they did Sunday or tonight
that will make these shows "the best"....but I wouldn't trade my NY experience for anything.  Seeing the Who has
been a highlight of my mundane life over a dozen times now, and every show has something I will never forget.  I
hope the rumors of a tour come to fruition, but if not, with my memories alone, I'll survive.

It was truly enjoyable getting to put some faces with some names...and I appriciate Stacy's help in finding the
Molly Wee, and getting me directions to where I needed to go.  I didn't get to meet everyone I hoped (did get to
see WF but wasn't introduced, and NakedEye was never pointed out to me), but those I did meet were genuinly nice
people....If anyone of you who met me ever make it to Austin, Texas, you have a place to stay, and a tour guide to
show you around. I wish I had a better memory for names, but as I see posts, some of the faces will definatly come
back to me...If you met me at the Wee, drop me a line, so I can try to put my mangled memory back in order.

Enough rambling for now!  Hope all of you who made the shows had as good a time as me, and for those of you who
didn't make the shows...What were you thinkin?????