Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #302

> >>Horn players/Backupsingers/Rabbit: I didn't particularly notice any of
> them.  That's the best review to get.>>
>
> HUH?  I thought the horns were magnificent at this show.  Quad needs the
> horns, esepcially near the end.  They added tremendously to the show,
> IMHO.  The backup singers were nice during the "I'm the face" bit, but I
> will agree that I didn't notice them too much either.  As for Rabbit, I'm
> sure he was a bit upset about having to give up his other keyboard and
> only stick to piano, but he was still pretty good.

The horns were quite good, particularly in 5:15.  But I don't want to
notice them.  I want to be noticing the Who.  I want the horns to play
great, amazing, but I never have to pay attention to them, they're
just there.  Other productions I've seen either tend to have horns
inaudible or incredibly in your face.  They were just at the right
level, in respect to both volume and the style of playing.  I don't
care if it's David Sanborn or Kenny G or Bleeding Gums, I want them to
support the Who so I can watch and experience the Who, not them.

> The "new" symbol, Brad, is not very new at all.  It's the "fallout
> shelter" sign that was present on the Who tours in the 70s.

And there you have it.  At the time, I was busy learning how to tie my
shoes and recite the pledge of allegience, and my favorite song was On
Top of Spaghetti, all covered with cheeeeeeeeeeeese.

- --
- - Brad Goldman
 (Brad@jimmy.harvard.edu)