It Was Worth It

Well, my Who friends.  What an amazing first night.  After an enjoyable
chance to match some faces with names (albeit in a loud, smoky bar-yuck!), it
was off to opening night at MSG.  I'm sorry to say that I missed Joan Osborne
(although I have seen her four times this past year and think she's quite
good).  The word I heard is that she held her own, but in a Who crowd, no one
was really interested in anyone other than our boys.

I was located in the second and front row.  A little bit John side of Roger,
although when we finally rushed the stage, I was dead center, just feet away
from Rog.  Ain't nothin' like being in the front.  Even if it cost me the
past three weeks of my life and months of debt, it's worth it.

Same band (I think) as Hyde Park.  Roger, Pete, and John.  Zak on drums.
 Simon on rhythm guitar.  Geof Whitehorne (from DST) on electric.  Jody on
percussion.  Rabbit and Jon Carin (Carnegie Hall and Pete ClubTour) on keys.
 Four vocalists including Billy.  Five piece horn section.

The mix, at least where I was, sucked in a big way.  Could hardly hear Pete's
guitar at all.  Fortunately, I was close enough to see everything they were
playing, so I could at least pick most of it up.  Pete played acoustic all
night.  No piano, no electric guitar.

They played Quadrophenia straight through in its entirety.  It was
tremendous.  Sounds from descriptions like they toned down some of the
distractions from Hyde Park.  Gary Glitter was still the Godfather.  Nothing
personal, but I could have done without him.  He was just an annoyance.
 Every line he was singing instead of Roger or Pete was a drag.

Billy Idol was superbly cast as the Ace Face.  He can't sing (IMHO) and he
messed up some words again, but he was decked out in a sharp looking suit and
tie, and he had the the attitude thing down pat.  Phil Daniels (Jimmy in the
Quad movie) was great as Jimmy as narrator.

There was a large movie type screen behind the band on which the showed Phil
when he was speaking, film clips from Quad, ocean scenes, other related mod
stuff, and even some Who footage.  One of the most amazing moments was when
they showed an instrument demolition scene from '67.  It was a real trip to
be watching these 50 something men on stage in real life while on the screen,
these 20 something kids were detstroying their gear.

Most moving part of the show for me was "Helpless Dancer."  Somehow it struck
a deep chord, and I found myself crying in a way that I have never
experienced at a concert.

After Quad, they took a short unannounced break.  Lights stayed down.  They
came back out, just Roger and Pete and did a delightful "Behind Blue Eyes."
 The band joined by the final verse.  Then, a quasi-acoustic "WGFA."  It was
delightful, but I kept missing John.  Then, "Magic Bus."  Nice, but not
impressive.  Then, a special treat for me.  Roger strapped on an acoustic
guitar and they closed the show with "Naked Eye."  Somebody up there likes
me.

In summary, a wonderful night.  I was right.  There's nothing better in the
world than seeing them on stage together.  Even so, FYI, I don't think it was
a hot show.  It was solid, but not sizzling.  Interestingly, all of the
long-time fans I spoke with afterwards, as well as Zak, all agreed.

Lastly, I spent some time with Alan McKendree and Alan and Susan McMullen
(and a whole group of others-Jared from Tacoma, Stefani from Seattle, Melissa
and Gary from London, and Karen from Philly).  While I only know them on a
casual level, after several days with them in CA on Pete's club tour and
again last night, I am convinced that Rich/White Fang's personal vendetta is
just that.  It has no place on this list.

Rich, if you have issues with these people, stop making fun of them.  Stop
verbally assaulting them, and have the courage and maturity to either
confront them or to let it go.

I realize that this will probably make me a target of attack again, but
someone on this list needs to have the courage to say publicly what so many
of us are saying privately.  Rich, your information is great.  Your
collection is great.  Your Who-related contributions to this list are
appreciated.  Your personal attacks suck, and no one is really interested.
 Please stop terrorizing people on this list.  If you have things to say to
people, please have the maturity to do it directly with out the nastiness,
just as I attemted to do with you in a genuine and friendly way last night.
 OK, enough said.

To anyone who can still get to NYC.  Do it!!!