re: Phil and Kenny

JJM  wrote:
 -First of all, we have to realize that Jones was a better drummer than about
 -90% of all professional drummers on the scene back then.  That said, there
 - were many, many reasons that Jones wasn't going to succeed with the Who-
(and
 -the Who with him) with most of them not having anything to do with his
 -"competence".

 -What the Who got in Kenny was what the needed least; a  staight-ahead,
 - timekeeper type drummer.  When he did try and become more active his fills
 - were ordinary and unimaginative.

I understand that Keith couldn't be replaced and never blamed Kenny for
lacking in that area.  But after hearing him with the Faces, then with the
Who, I would disagree with the 90% figure.  I describe his career from those
two points as going from sloppy and sometimes horrible to competent with a
nice English heritage which I assume got him the job.

Mike