Bob Mould

In my spare time I write record reviews for a couple music papers and
magazines, and I thought I would share this one with the group.

Bob Mould
"Bob Mould" (Rykodisc) ****

As one half of the Hüsker Dü brain trust that brought us such skate-punk
classics as "Zen Arcade" and "New Day Rising,"  Bob Mould was fond of
referring to "Workbook," his first solo album, as his "fuck you if you think
you've got me pegged" album.  After creating a whole new audience for himself
with the delicate, cello-tinged introspective songs of "Workbook," (and
establishing himself as one of "alternative" rock's elder statesmen) Mould
wasted no time in leaping back into noise with a vengeance, first with "Black
Sheets of Rain," and later with a series of progressively angrier and noisier
albums from his next band, Sugar.  But if you think you've got Mould pegged
again, he has an answer for you with "Bob Mould," his latest solo album.  And
the answer is "Fuck you.  Again."

"Bob Mould" is a harrowing, emotionally draining, and intensely personal set
of songs.  While Mould has always specialized in songs about love gone wrong,
it's always been more as an observer than as a participant--in songs like
"Out Of Your Life" from "Black Sheets of Rain" Mould made it easy for the
listener to sublimate the lyrical images of a dying relationship with a
bouncy feel-good chorus.  There is no such luxury on "Bob Mould."  Mould
chronicles step by step the death of a relationship in songs like "Anymore
Time Between," "Hair Stew," "Roll Over and Die," and "Thumbtack," which is
certainly the best track on the album and may be the best of Mould's career.
 A spare guitar track backs Mould's wavering voice as he paints the image of
a map on the wall in which two lovers place a thumbtack to tell the other
where they are, and given the bleak musical landscape it comes as no surprise
when Mould sings "over time you wore a hole/same place tacked over and
over/and I never go there."  It's as moving a song as you are ever likely to
hear.

Mould also dissects fame and his role as a performer in "I Hate Alternative
Rock," "Egoverride," and "Art Crisis."  It's hard to tell at whom lines like
"I knew you when/you had something to say" from "I Hate Alternative Rock" are
directed, but there is no question about "Art Crisis"'s blunt "there's
nothing I can do about it/screw it I don't care about it"--Bob Mould is
telling us all to go fuck ourselves if we think we've got him pegged.  "Bob
Mould"'s dedication reads "This one is for me," and it shows.

"Bob Mould" is not a perfect album.  "Fort Knox King Solmon" easily ranks
among the worst tracks Mould has ever penned, and "Deep Karma Canyon" is
ultimately forgettable ear candy.  Mould played all instruments himself, and
it often shows (especially on the percussion).  But the overwhelming honesty
of  "Bob Mould" makes it as good an album as he's ever released (and one of
1996's best so far), and reinforces Mould's position as one of "alternative"
rock's preeminent singer/songwriters.

- -Andy White