Re: New CDs/Stereo Versions/Reissue Campaign

Luke, re:

<< The old Magic Bus debate. Fang stated the only good verion is the stereo
 one on the LP. He said all other versions sounded like the old Decca mono
 single. I have the US CD of Whos Better, Whos Best, and the sound is
 stereo, pretty clean besides a few dropouts (loss of high end), and very
 wide stereo seperation. It i much different from the mono version on the
 box set and on Whos Greatest Hits. Is this the same version as on the LP,
 or is there yet a different (better) version out there? >>

Correction (minor). That was the "only good stereo version". The version you
are referring to, is weak compared to the Decca vinyl version. The good news
is (maybe) that there's a chance that there will be a NEW stereo version of
the song on the new "My Generation" Greatest hits... seems they found yet
another multi...

>>This mostly goes to Fang, but anyone else can add... Has anyone noticed
the glitches in We're Not Gonna Take It on the new Tommy issue? I noticed
tons of them, mostly in the first few minutes of the song. I exchanged the
CD and it had the same noises. Little pops I guess you would call them.
They are very random, and it sounds like some sort of "digital" noise, like
something that would have happened in the mastering process.

Actually, I was out of that conversation. I haven't noticed it and didn't
bother with the headphones...

>>A while back I started a thread on what songs could be in stereo.
Somebody said My Generation could, which I know. They also said songs like
Happy Jack, The Last Time, and Under My Thumb (among others) would only be
in mono. Any ideas why? Obvously they were recorded on multi track tape.
Couldnt the masters be found ala WGFA?

I'm not sure if any songs (except for "See My Way") are "mono only" songs.
Other songs recorded from the same period/studio turned out in stereo (ie
"Batman"). So far, I haven't heard a good reason other than, "whoops!
misplaced the tapes again!"

- -wf