Re: misc. stuff

- - - - - -- [ From: . * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Shane,
Re:
>I did a web search on Abba & Billy Idol.  Abba got 407 hits, while Billy
Idol had 3831.  If only a quarter of >those documents are actually about
Billy Idol (not billy stole the idol from his fathers mantle or some >other
combination of the 2 words) then there would still be more than twice the
number of Billy Idol links.  >Seems some people still remember Billy Idol,
and consider him worthy of mentioning on a web page

Why not try using words such as "baseball" and "soccer"? It wouldn't
surprise me if "baseball" got twice as many hits as "soccer", and using YOUR
logic, would prove that baseball is a much more popular sport worldwide than
soccer, which I'm sure that even you know is not the case at all.

>Let me spell it out for you:  logically speaking (which was what I was
getting at), it is unlikely more people >want them to record than remember
who they are.  Here's an example:  6 out of 10 people remember >band A[BBA].
 This means that 4 out of 10 don't know who A are

Lemme see... 6 - 10 no... 4 + 6 is 10 so 10 - 6 is 4... OK I get it. THOSE
numbers are right by golly! But, 6 / 10 is 0.6, and we know what that means.
What you are saying is 60% of the worlds population has heard of ABBA.
According to your logic, ABBA must be one of the most popular bands of all
time!

Let us remember: There is a difference between being popular and being great

From: i.j.burn@reading.ac.uk (ian burn)