The problem with Pete

JeffW hits the proverbial nail on the head:

Although my biggest complaint about the guy recently, aside from
abdicating a decent guitar sound in spite of his increased prowess at
guitar, is his excessive wordiness and lack of what I would call focused
melody... Too adult contempo in some cases.  Which is why I like Face the
Face a lot better, because to me it was a return to simple, direct
songwriting.
<<<

Yeah!!!  The whole White City album was a more direct approach.  It
sounded like he worked a little too hard on Chinese Eyes, that it lacked
a natural flow that Empty Glass had, not to mention the passion.  Kind of
like the difference between By Numbers and Face Dances.  An argument
could be made (not by me) that FD was a decent album, but to me it was
more contrived and mechanical that anything done previously.  White City
trades (almost daily) with Empty Glass for favorite PT solo.

OK,
KLW