Re: Who news from MCA...

> >I always liked how Capitol/Apple did that with the Beatles Catalog.  You buy
> >the regular releases and the two "Past Masters" and you have the entire
> >catalog, nice and neat. (Course now the Anthology stuff is coming out).
>
> HJ:
>
> You're kidding, right? Capitol released each album (the first several of
> which were like 32 minutes long) without the singles or anything...a 30
> minute CD for $16. For the Beach Boys at LEAST they released two albums per
> disk. I wouldn't have asked for that, but adding the singles would have been
> nice...then there would have been no need for the two PAST MASTERS. Or, if
> they just HAD to have those two other CDs, they could have easily put the
> material that's now on the ANTHOLOGYs.
> Not to mention that despite having stereo masters of some of the songs, they
> released the first 4 in mono.
> Personally, I felt VERY ripped off.

Hell, forget the running time, (as Mark mentions) the CD's could've
sounded better initially.  Back in '87 Sgt. and the White Album were
great but albums such as Beatles for Sale and Revolver were lacking in
sound quality.  Now that we have a alt. Taxman on Anth II we finally
realize how screwed we were.   To make matters worse, I've heard this
Anth project is just a teaser for a much bigger anthology project (I hope
this is strictly rumor) as if these were just samplers.  Aside from that,
if anyone wants to praise capitol, may I point you to the recent ('94)
reissue of Beach Boy albums via 1 LP per CD.