Re: Pete's "joke"

At 17:48 09/07/96 -0400, you wrote:

>>Pete made a joke at the '82 Toronto concert that nobody got (or gets).
>
>Andy:
>
>Oh, I understood it. I just didn't comment at the time. I think most did,
>really.
>But to put it simply: Pete was talking to the crowd, as usual. No penis
>joke. "Actually, it's not hard at all." (playing Who, being the Rock star
>the crowd demands from him) "What's hard is making it feel hard." (making it
>real) And it was obvious that the crowd didn't hear or even understand what
>he was trying to say. So he said, as if just now getting the message: "You
>don't understand what I'm saying..." as the next song begins. Even the band
>wasn't paying attention to him. It's sad, really. A sad moment.
>

>                   Cheers                   ML
>
>"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
>and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
>                                                                 Pete Townshend
>

>Of all the theories I've read, I now think Mark's - and another lister's
earlier  posted (Litgo?) - have gotten to the nub of PT's joke. I agree that
it's sad, but my take (I don't now if you meant it this way Mark) is that
PT, as on this occasion, can get a little too contemptuous of his audience
at times. One of his earlier examples? His famous denigration in '75 of the
MSGers who shouted at him to "jump, Pete, jump".  Sorry, but I don't think
any artist has the right to slag his fans either directly, as PT did in the
famous interview following said show in '75, or on stage by refusing
patently to "do your thing", the thing that made you famous and people
bought the records for. I'll stand with anyone in my admiration and respect
for the man, but there are times he can be a pain. Dismissing the audience
in Toronto in '82 for not twigging to his (rather obscure) joke was one of
them. I much prefer the instances when Pete laughs at HIMSELF, not his
audience. Example? The (full) Chi '79 videotape where he calls in mock
portentiousness for another guitar. The  roadie gives him one and then after
strapping it on PT says in exaggerated Cockney, "It's too heavy, I don't
like it", after which he strikes another pose and starts to call for a new
guitar before dissolving in laughter and roaring onto his next tune...
Gary M.