vh1 and other stuff

Randall Hixson wrote: <<VH1 had a multi-day countdown of artists from
A to Z last weekend. Did anyone catch it? I was just wondering what
videos they showed for Pete and The Who.>>

Wow. My first posting to the list and I actually have some information
to offer. I managed to catch Let My Love Open the Door from Pete,
though I missed the beginning so they might have done another video
before that. As for The Who, I had to sit through what seemed like a
dozen Wham! videos before they finally got to the great ones at one
a.m. While the selections were predictable--Eminence Front followed
(after a commercial) by You Better You Bet--I got to go to sleep happy
with visions of The Who dancing in my head.

Here are some other random bits from a first-timer:
My first Who concert was 1980 in Toronto. Awesome fun. I spent the
night on a park bench waiting for the bus station to open in the
morning. My second concert was '82 in Syracuse, and my third will be
on the 17th at MSG.

In '79 I saw a preview performance of a staged version of Tommy in
London. I don't recall if the show ever made it past previews. I think
I have the ticket stub in a box somewhere, along with a Tommy t-shirt
that strangely seems to have shrunk over the years :).

A band named Harpy that used to play around upstate NY in the early
'70s had a great stage show, including a version of Dr. Jimmy complete
with Jekyll and Hyde act. That first turned me on to Quadrophenia. My
freshman year in college I wore out my roommate's eight-track (!!!)
tape of it, so for my birthday the folks on my floor bought me the
album.

I will always love Who's Next, because it was my first Who record and
has a collection of songs that, each standing alone, is unequalled.
But Quad speaks to me. Until I found this list I thought I was a bit
odd. I still think that, now I just know I'm not alone.

The heat is rising. The past is calling. See you at MSG.

Dave