Here by the sea and sand. . .

SO, I happen to stumble across an old Strat at an estate sale that I pick up
for a RIDICULOUSLY low price which I then turn around and sell at a
RIDICULOUSLY high price, so I says to the wife "Honey, let's take us a little
vacation."  SO, one of our oldest and dearest friends (who retired last year
at age 37, lucky SOB) says "come on down to SAINT THOMAS and stay with me at
my luxury sea-side villa for a week!"  SO, we say "That sounds great, Rob!"
and pack up our bags.

So how have I spent my vacation?  Let's see, yesterday I nailed plywood all
over the luxury sea-side villa, and today I'm huddled in the basement of said
luxury sea-side villa.  Tried to fly out yesterday, but everything was
booked.  Power went out about 6 hours ago, but the phones are still working
(sporadically).  I brought my laptop with me "just in case," as I said to the
wife ("Just in case what?"  "I dunno, just in case I get bored or something."
 "Bored?  In paradise?  You're an idiot.  I don't know why I married you."
 "Because I asked."  "Oh yeah.  That's it.")  Now who's laughing, huh?  Not
only am I BORED, I'm scared, to boot.  So I'm sending e-mail to everyone I
know, and the wife is eyeing the laptop hungrily (minesweeper addict, you
know).  Ha ha.  Should have brought your own.

SO what's it like, a hurricane?  Pretty f$%king windy, that's for sure.  The
luxury villa is supposedly hurricane proof, and so far we haven't felt it
move all that much.  We can sure hear the wind, though.  It's supposedly 85
MPH with gusts up to 105 MPH--that's what the NWS website says--all the local
radio is off the air.  We ducked outside once just after it really started,
and seriously had to hold on to railings to keep from being blown away.  The
surf is crazy--fifteen to twenty foot breakers and Rob says the tide is about
8-10 feet higher than usual.

OOPS, there goes a window upstairs.  Hope it wasn't a big one.  Something hit
my rental car about an hour ago.  We heard it, but all the windows on that
side of the house are boarded up.  Glad I got the insurance!

AND NOW FOR THE WHO CONTENT:  I picked up a copy of the remastered Quad for
the trip, and am listening to it now (on a walkman) for the first time.  I'm
really surprised that they chose to carry over the wind and surf noises from
I Am the Sea throughout the whole rest of the album--makes it kind of hard to
hear the music.  Of course, the wife reports the same problem with her new
Vivaldi CD. . .

Well, that's about the news from St. Thomas.  MARK LEAMAN:  I sure hope this
thing doesn't head your way.  Our place at Garden City got creamed by Hugo,
so I know how that goes.  I (hope I'll) start contributing Who-related info
to this list again soon.

Here I am, rock you like a hurricane (it FINALLY makes sense!)
AThosWhite