Re: Embarrassed Correction re 5:15 intro

> From: Mark Tilson <marktil@vossnet.co.uk>
> Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 19:57:44 +0100
> Subject: Embarrassed Correction re 5:15 intro
>
> I've now *heard* that whirring (sorry, Litgo!). It could well be an electric
> cart (a bit like one of those golf carts), which tows a series of wheeled
> cages containing mailbags. It could equally be a smaller electric vehicle they
> use to clean the concourse floor, but I'm not sure whether the cleaning
> vehicles were in use way back then. The mail buggies definitely were.

I have to disagree.  This is most definitely the noise of a tape machine
servo-motor.  I have heard this noise more times than I care to admit.  It
happens when you're an recording engineer, esp. when working in places with
less than desirable AC wiring (i.e. I never hear it at the commercial
facility I work at, but I do sometimes at my home studio)

The timing of the noise also gives it away, since it happens about a beat and
a half before the piano comes in, and the second one comes in just before
the whistle blows.

Christopher Goosman