Re: Question about Broadway show tickets (No Who content)

At 0:29 7/7/96, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:
>From: Ballou1@aol.com
>Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 01:52:05 -0400
>Subject: Question about Broadway show tickets (No Who content)
>
>I'll be coming to the Big Apple from the Left Coast on 7/20 for the 7/21 MSG
>show.  Since I'll be in NY for about 33 or so hours, I figured I might try to
>take in a Broadway show (Sunday matinee on 7/21).  Now that TOMMY has '"left
>the stage" can anyone out there suggest what I should see?

I enjoyed _Sunset Blvd._ very much, when I saw it about a year ago.  Had
Glenn Close in the lead, although I think she may have left.  I found
nothing to quibble about in the whole show; the acting, costumes, lighting,
and set were all superb.  OTOH, it has nothing to do with The Who or rock,
it's pure Broadway.  It also helps if you've seen the movie.  If I recall I
think tix were about $75.

For something show-oriented but not Broadway, let me strongly recommend
_STOMP_  This is a group which does performance pieces combining dance and
percussion, mostly with everyday objects such as matchboxes, pushbrooms,
plastic pipe, and even kitchen sinks.  (You might remember seeing their
Coke commercial which was done in a freezer with 55-gallon drums and blocks
of ice.)  It's fucking great. Plays in a theatre about a block from the
Astor Place subway stop.  I venture to guess that Who fans would be
somewhat more likely than average to like it due to the almost total
emphasis on percussion and rhythm -- it's got the beat!  Plus, there's a
lot of wit and good humor -- comedy, if you will -- in the numbers
themselves.  Again, if I remember correctly tix were no more than $65,
possibly less.

>More importantly, can anyone out there suggest where I can get cheap tickets?

For low-priced tickets in general, go to TKTS, a big booth at Broadway and
about 48th St., which has half-priced tickets for Broadway shows that same
day.  Cheap, but you have to take whatever's available, there's no
guarantee that tix for any specific show will be available on a given day.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend