Re: new Quad (tape machine noise)

Mark T., Re:

> BTW, you can't even get a train to Brighton from Waterloo - you need to go to
> Victoria. As far as I know that's always been the case

That was exactly what I thought when reading Mark L's comments on Waterloo
Station for the first time.  But then I checked today's British Railway tables,
and lo and behold:  Mark L is somehow right.

It is correct that there rarely are any direct trains from Brighton to
Waterloo, and if there is one, it is always a very slow one.  But it is no
problem at all to take a train to from Brighton to Victoria and change for a
train to Waterloo Station at East Croydon, or to take a train from Brighton to
Bedford and change for a train to Waterloo Station at London Bridge.

On the other hand, there are certain hours when you cannot get directly from
Brighton to Victoria, too.  Sometimes you have to take a train to Bedford and
to change at Gatwick Airport, East Croydon, or Haywards Heath for a train to
Victoria.

Essentially the same holds true for trains from London to Brighton.  So, if
Jimmy had some good reason to choose Waterloo Station instead of Victoria,
there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, unless railway timetables were
significantly different back in the early 60s.

Cheers,

Bernd