Re: new Quad (tape machine noise)

WF wrote:

> Litgo & Chris, re:
>
> << >My biggest complaint is: the frigging tape
>  >machine start-up noise at the beginning of 5:15.  COME ON!! Aren't you
> folks
>  >supposed to be pros?
>
> >> I was surprised to hear this, too. However, listen to the old one. It's in
>  the original. At around :09. You can hear the tape servo or something.
> Twice.
>  The new one is cleaner so it's easier to hear. I had never noticed it the
> old
>  version. Also, around :18 or so, there's some studio clanking that's been
>  cleaned up on the new one.  >>
>
> You guys aren't referring to the "railway station" sounds at the beginning of
> "5:15", are you???

I've re-listened to the vinyl and the original CD release several times now.
I've also been through Waterloo Station hundreds of times, not that that
qualifies me to judge any better than anyone else. I mean, I doubt if they
recorded all the elements of the intro on location. There's definitely footsteps
on any echoey concourse (that would be accurate) or maybe that's meant to be
Jimmy going up the stone steps (that would be inaccurate). I *think* the first
snapping sound may be the clasp lock on a case being popped open. The second,
impactive sound (the one Mark Leaman suggests may be a gate closing?) is to me
more like the thud of someone dropping a tied bundle of newspapers, or is it
supposed to be Jimmy dropping his bag on the compartment floor? Would this be
consistent with what you can hear on the remixed version? I've tried several
times to hear Litgo's "whirring" without any success.

BTW, you can't even get a train to Brighton from Waterloo - you need to go to
Victoria. As far as I know that's always been the case, but Victoria Station has
a less photogenic entrance. "We're nothing if not authentic" indeed! :-)

Anyway, thank you for making me listen to 5:15 about ten times on the trot.
Enjoyable even if I'm totally wrong. Anyone else got an opinion?

Mark T. (still quite satisfied with the old Quad for now)