Re: That Which Sustains

>Correct.  Everything you mentioned is as well a burden on my shoulders as a
>Catholic as the Holocaust is a burden on my shoulders as a German.  But I think
>you and I agree that Germany has become a better nation after 1945, and I
>believe as well that Catholicism has become more reasonable after 1648.  Still
>not a perfect church to live in, but a tolerable one...

Bernd:

You'll note that I didn't bring that into it. And yes, I think Germany is
pretty durn keen alright. I'm sure that Catholicism isn't the same there as
here, where we have Priests frequently caught pawing little boys (so much
that the church has a staff to deal with it).

>Just to mention a few positive cultural effects of Christianity:  Without
>Christianity, literacy wouldn't have reached the British Isles and Central
>Europe in early medieval times - so no Western civilization.  Without
>Christianity no Johann Sebastian Bach, so no modern music.  Without
Christianity
>no gospels, no Blues, and finally no Who...  (ah, that's a good one :-) )

Yeah, and what about John Sebastian? You forgot him.

>The only thing I wanted to add to Roland's comments was that condemning
>religion and looking for one's own spirituality has to be done with some
care, >otherwise you might regret your decision at some point of your life.

Ah, but which life...that's the question.

>Folks, you are great.  A whole list is talking me into jumping across the pond.
>Well, on Monday I'll contact my travel agency and get some information about
>the flight schedule...

Great news.

>What makes you sure that I really am such an interesting person to discuss
>with? :-)

Oh, I'm a pretty good judge of character.

>Mark, you are unique.  No, I don't believe in reincarnation, and even if I did,
>I'd see little possibilities of getting a better life than I already have next
>time.  Perhaps growing up as a bass player of a London band could be
>attractive...

You can't look at it that way. The bad lives have a purpose as well. To grow
one must face and deal with adversity.
But I'm not unique. You'll see when you get over here. There are lots of us
about. Just because we don't have an organized religion (which, I suppose,
would keep Mason out...pity, that) doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of
people thinking the same way...

                   Cheers                   ML (champion of the new QUAD)

"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
                                                                 Pete Townshend