Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V3 #230

At 17:13 7/6/96, TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:
>From: Rockit34@aol.com
>Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 19:50:01 -0400
>Subject: scalping...
>
>On the distatsteful issue of ticket scalping, Bob Hundertmark spake:
>
>>>I couldn't disagree more strongly.  What happens often times, is the
>>>promoter, the hall, and other non-artist types get, as part of their
>>>compensation, maybe a 1,000 tickets per night.  The best seats.
>>>Factored into their compensation at cost.  then, they wholesale them
>>>out at say $20.00 over face and make a quick $20,000.00 a night.
>
>Yes, Alan, I actually know this from -personal experience-.  I believe it was
>also referred to in sworn testimony in the Congressional Hearings on
>Ticketmaster.

OK.  Sorry to have doubted you.  I think it's the right of promoters to
make any legal arrangement they want to to be compensated for their risk in
putting on the show.  If the band cares about making these tickets
available to their fans, they do not have to agree to those conditions.  If
the shows go on, I can only infer that bands agree to the conditions; yet I
haven't heard you calling the bands scum.  Do you think they are?

As I mentioned before, this is not the heart of the matter.  The
willingness of lots of people to pay more than face is.

>  and btw, who do you think diverted those first ten rows of
>Hootie Tickets?

Um...you? :-)  I have no idea.

>Actually, in over 20 years of very active concert going, I
>did pay more than face -once-.

And how often were you in, say, the first five rows of major shows?

>  I haven't completely ruled it out, but I do
>disdain it immensely.

And you call those who sell the tickets "scum."  Any word yet on why those
who share equally in making the transaction possible -- the buyers -- are
not also scum?  Or do you think they are?

>As you point out, scalping is illegal in the vast majority of instances that
>it occurs.

No, I pointed out that it is illegal in many cities or states.  "Some"
might have been a better choice of words.  It's technically illegal here,
but police have told me that there has to be a complaint before they take
action, which never happens since both sides of the transaction are
satisfied.

>  It is as much the hallmark of freedom as illegal drug dealing, or
>semi-legal scams such as "credit repair" and such, all purely market driven
>enterprises.

At least you are consistent in your examples.  I too am consistent; I
believe the country would be _much_ better off if all drugs were legalized.
I don't know enough about the details of the "credit repair" activities
you mention but if you'll tell me (perhaps offline), I'll be happy to
render an opinion.  Market-driven enterprises fill a beneficial function as
long as they do not violate a person's rights (we can discuss what those
rights are too, offline if you like, but they don't include concert
tickets).

>  Its as American and Patriotic as organized crime (which, btw,
>is actively involved in the scalping business.  this again from direct
>personal experience, not just hearsay).

I do not condone any activity which violates individuals' rights, which
organized crime certainly does; nor do I agree that such activities are
essentially American or patriotic.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend