Re: That Which Sustains

Mark, Re:

> I would agree that religion has had quite a cultural effect in history...but
> not always a positive one.  [...]  The Crusades, for a major one. What was
> done to the American Indians, too...something *I* can certainly relate to.
> Xtians have killed more people on this planet than any other single group.
> Not a great track record, eh? Ah well...

Correct.  Everything you mentioned is as well a burden on my shoulders as a
Catholic as the Holocaust is a burden on my shoulders as a German.  But I think
you and I agree that Germany has become a better nation after 1945, and I
believe as well that Catholicism has become more reasonable after 1648.  Still
not a perfect church to live in, but a tolerable one...

Just to mention a few positive cultural effects of Christianity:  Without
Christianity, literacy wouldn't have reached the British Isles and Central
Europe in early medieval times - so no Western civilization.  Without
Christianity no Johann Sebastian Bach, so no modern music.  Without Christianity
no gospels, no Blues, and finally no Who...  (ah, that's a good one :-) )

But my point in this whole discussion is NOT to promote certain religious
believes.  Religion is even more a delicate thing than politics and shouldn't
be discussed without consent of every participant of a discussion group.  The
only thing I wanted to add to Roland's comments was that condemning religion
and looking for one's own spirituality has to be done with some care, otherwise
you might regret your decision at some point of your life.

Over - won't publically post on this subject again (hopefully...).

> Let me also add my request that you throw caution to the wind and join us
> for some of the MSG shows.

Folks, you are great.  A whole list is talking me into jumping across the pond.
Well, on Monday I'll contact my travel agency and get some information about
the flight schedule...

> Not only would you be made welcome, but your insight would be greatly
> appreciated. Hey, I have a ticket for ya on the 17th...

What makes you sure that I really am such an interesting person to discuss
with? :-)  Yes, I'd also like to chat with as many of you listers as possible
before and after the shows.  (The Hyde Park accident of not having met the
others still annoys me.)  Stay tuned - till Wednesday I should have made my
final decision...

> For once, take the American attitude and go with your gut instinct. After
> all, you only live once...that is, unless (like me) you believe in
> reincarnation. In which case you don't remember it, so what good is that?
> Anyway, you don't want to be filled with regret that you didn't for the rest
> of your life(s), now do you? If music is a spiritual event, then you would
> only be furthering yourself along the path to enlightenment (hey, that's
> damned fine logic there...I should be congratulated) and that should be your
> primary task in life.

Mark, you are unique.  No, I don't believe in reincarnation, and even if I did,
I'd see little possibilities of getting a better life than I already have next
time.  Perhaps growing up as a bass player of a London band could be
attractive...

BTW, I still owe you some private e-mail, but if this MSG thing becomes true,
you might have to wait a long time before actually getting it...

Cheers,

Bernd