Re: Quad reissue (more detailed)

Mark, re:

<< WF also has stated that he likes the LAL type
 productions...and this version is a lot closer. So I was surprised that he
 didn't like it. Some of the things I like about it others don't. But that
 doesn't account for flat spots; that can only be a defect, if not it would
 be heard by all or none. Right? >>

I don't think this sounds like "Leeds" at ALL... "Baby Don't You Do It"
maybe, this no.

I strained my hearing and listened to this piece of <Picard> again... While
trying to forget, here's where I think you can notice the "defects" (and I
don't believe they are, I think it's a bad mix)...

"Drowned": The highs sound high (cymbals, guitar, top of drums, part of
vocals etc), but the whole rest of the song sounds like it's in the mud:
flat, dull, compressed. Whatever you want to call it. It's almost like they
fixed one layer of the original tape, and left the rest of the crap alone.
What you end up with is "dueling" sound that is REALLY <RIKER> annoying to
listen to.

"Dr Jimmy". I think you have more of the above and you have some problem with
the vocals fading in and out as well. Again, very annoying to listen too.

Over all, the mix seems to pay attention to the highs, without really doing
much or anything with the bottom end. To me, John's bass is much more burried
and Keith's drums, which used to be "non-stop" play "hide and seek". I'm
going to send the thing back to MCA, as a courtesy, but, we'll see...

- -wf