Ticket Distribution

After reading tons of back and forth and being an ongoing subject of
Rich/Fang's scathing comments, I'd like to chip in my spontaneous 2c about
tickets.

First, I think that tickets being pre-pulled for brokers (not going out on
the computer system) sucks in a big way.  I also think the lottery system
sucks, (although for on-sales with 50 or more people in line, I can
understand it from a safety perspective).

FYI, I'm someone who has averaged going to about 50 concerts a year over the
past five years (including in that time about 20 Who related shows).  I
always sit in the first five rows.  I have almost never, before this set of
shows, bought tickets from a broker, although I have occasionally sold to
them and done my best to cultivate relationships whenever possible.  I simply
can't afford their prices.  I'm one of those true fans of modest means.
 However, it seems to me like unless someone is willing to take on the
project of screening applicants for pre-pulled tickets (and I could easily
engage in a pro/con/practicality discussion of distribution via fan clubs,
mailing lists, etc...), the computer system, with all of the tickets
released, and a first come, first serve approach is the fairest I've yet to
find.

Even under the best of circumstances (meaning everything out on the system,
no lottery), however, the only pull off of the computer that is of any
interest to me, is the first one.  That means only the first person on line
at each outlet.  Even then it's a crap shoot.  By the second and most
certainly the third person in line, I couldn't give two filofaxes about the
tickets that are still available.  At that moment, the challenge becomes
finding my ticket.  Not to minimize the importance of money (as I've shared,
I have very little of it), but even tougher than the money, is finding the
ticket.

Ex:  I spent overnight in a parking lot for Pete's PsychoDerelict on-sale.
 The next morning, I was the first pull off of the computer with a competent
operator.  I got screwed because they pre-pulled the pit seats (first four
rows).  So even first in line is no guarantee.  What compensation is there
for that?

While I think that the inflated prices brokers charge is out of balance (and
I've never encountered anything like the numbers of this show before), as a
big time concert goer who doesn't just go into a broker and buy the best
seats, I do know how much time, effort, and luck is involved in scoring good
 seats.  As far as I'm concerned, if I didn't do the work, I owe thanks (in
some degree - we can debate what constitutes "fair value") to whoever scores
them for me.

In terms of personal opinion on pricing, on a $25-45 ticket, I've always felt
like $75-100 is a very reasonable amount to pay for good tickets for which I
did virtually no work to acquire.  Now whether or not any given ticket is
worth that amount of money to me is another question.  Regardless if I take
them up on the offer, I would sincerely thank anyone who offered me such a
ticket.  When those same tickets are $150, $200, $400, I have a real hard
time with it.  That's neither here nor there, only sharing my personal
perspective.

For a show where the tickets have an intial out of pocket cost of $75+
dollars, I'm not sure how that scale translates.

As for what I've been encountering for The Who shows at MSG, it has blown my
mind.  It's almost fucking comical.  Hell, my rent ($400) will just about buy
me one front ticket.

In terms of me offering tickets to the list, I'm not there in NY.  I'm doing
this from across the country.  When I have done research there (which isn't
since shortly after the on-sale -  I do have a rest of my life), the ticket
prices I had were well-below market.  However, the prices from the people I'm
getting them from is continually fluctuating, as is the market.  If you've
got better ideas, great, go for it.  If you have any hot tips for me, I'm
always open to a good turn.  If I can help any of you, it's my pleasure.

I don't know what I've accomplished here, but I hope someone finds it of
interest.

Two more things before I go.  One, sounds like Larry may be finding better
front deals than I am and two, I can still get Middle Section and Front
Section Floor Seats, mostly for the second three nights.  The middles are
mostly $125 and the front sec between $150 all the way up to big bucks for
the very front.  Email me if you're interested.