Re: Quad reissue

>Lastly I know I'm right because Mark Leaman agrees with me.  :)

Ian:

Yeah? Does that send a chill down YOUR back too?

I am really of the opinion now that there is a defective batch of QUADs out
there. Like there was of SELL OUT. I don't know how a CD could have gone
wrong in this way...and I also feel that the Polydor CD will have used the
same mix (why otherwise?). I have strained my wife and daughter's patience
trying (in vain) to find places where the vocals change for the worst. I
think all of the changes are for the better, save two: there is too much of
a volume change between I Am The Sea and The Real Me. As on the MFSL version
of TOMMY, with the crashing of the mirror. The other is the first drums we
hear on Dr. Jimmy and the second...same thing, the volume difference. The
first sounds canned (like the roll at the begining of Quadrophenia) and the
second live.
And please notice that there seems to be no middle ground here. Either
people hear the flat spots or not...I've seen no reviews that state that the
vocals are somewhat flat or not quite as bright, and surely if it was a
matter of what we hear as individuals there would be. I DO think that
whether one likes this QUAD or not has to do with what that person likes
about each mix. Like you, Ian, I prefer a live sound...and this mix
certainly sounds more live. WF also has stated that he likes the LAL type
productions...and this version is a lot closer. So I was surprised that he
didn't like it. Some of the things I like about it others don't. But that
doesn't account for flat spots; that can only be a defect, if not it would
be heard by all or none. Right?
One other thing: I notice that the cymbal "splash" at the opening chords of
PMTG has some people feeling that it detracts from the impact...I don't, but
I think here we have a clear case of individual taste.
I do think that the MFSL version sounded a little better than the MCA
release...but not too much, and I would have felt ripped off had they not
included the complete booklet. I guess now I should feel ripped off, unless
it has some collector's value someday.
BTW, (not to sound like a night club singer, but) anyone here from Secaucus,
NJ? That's where I'll be staying when I'm up there, and I could use some info.

                   Cheers                   ML

"I think you should keep on playing Rock as long as you have an axe to grind
and then if you haven't got an axe to grind you should go into cabaret."
                                                                 Pete Townshend